My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://compassionfatigue.ca
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Musings on facilitating workshops and the rewards of the work

(Françoise's desk Sunday April 5th, 2009)

Before you start reading this post, I would like to describe to you my current working conditions on this lovely Sunday morning: we recently had a flood in our basement which wiped out the children's play area which means that they immediately invaded my home office with millions of tiny plastic toys that crunch underfoot and never seem to go back in their storage tubs. Defeated, I temporarily migrated to the dining room table, waiting for the basement to be back in use. So, while trying to write this post I have had: 1) a 30 minute fashion show by my 11 year old who just unpacked a bag of hand-me-downs from her cousins 2) two 8 year old boys eating peanut butter straight from the jar with gigantic spoons 3) a skunk walking in our backyard and 4) a sibling dispute to break up! But truth is, the house feels very empty when they are not here, and I will step on a crunchy plastic toy quite happily. The benefits far outweigh the costs.

During the past two weeks, I have presented to oncology and palliative care workers in a large Montreal hospital, nurses from Corrections and staff at a busy community mental health agency. The workshops offered were half day presentations on compassion fatigue and vicarious trauma.

I wish I could find the right words to accurately describe the energy that is present during these workshops. I think the reason for this intensity and engagement from participants has to do with all of us helpers being given an opportunity to reflect on and talk about the cost of caring. Being able to take a few hours out of our incredibly fast-paced work lives to take stock and look at the impact that this work has on us.

Reflecting on the past 7-8 years, I have often asked myself "why does this always feel like a brand new workshop, each time I offer it?" I think that this energy from participants is really the only way to explain that presenting the same workshop five times in two days remains a replenishing experience for me.

I think the same can be true of clinical work: Have you ever looked at a day's worth of client appointments and felt anticipatorily drained, only to wrap up the day feeling energized and think to yourself "wow, that went by very quickly." Yes, client work can be draining, but it can also offer us incredible rewards and opportunities for renewal. Laughter is one source of replenishment in our work ( I think there is probably more laughter in counselling work than outsiders might imagine, even in terrible situations), and so is watching someone make an amazing change in their life, take a risk, big or small, gain an insight, take a stand. I have sat in session many, many times, filled with admiration for the courage of the person in front of me, filled with awe and feeling honoured to be the holder of their testimonial. That is why we do this work, isn't it?

I feel the same way about facilitating CF/VT workshops. I also think that combining the two is a good blend: working with clients part time and offering workshops part time. I wonder what your ideal blend would be?

This week, I am going to Ottawa to offer a Vicarious Trauma retreat to Crown Witness Coordinators (CWCs). CWCs provide Northern victims/witnesses with assistance throughout the court process. CWCs travel the North West Territories, the Yukon and Nunavut along with what is called "Circuit Court" - a travelling court of justice that goes from region to region, offering court services across the north. I am very much looking forward to meeting these CWCs.

Till next time, happy Passover and happy Easter for those of you who observe these holidays, and happy Spring to you all.

No comments: