My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://compassionfatigue.ca
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Debating the Texas shooting: Where to go to read something that makes any sense on this topic

I received several emails this week from people who read this blog. It was very nice as it puts faces to my readers and I'm never sure who is "out there" actually reading these posts. So, Hello dear friends and colleagues (Hi Deb - it was lovely to have tea yesterday, we should do that more often. Go write that book, it's going to be a fantastic resource!).

I am posting my blog post early this week as I am taking Monday off - it's been a hectic past few weeks with a lot of travelling and presenting, and it's time for a bit of self care for this workshop presenter.

This was an interesting week: I presented a one hour talk on PTSD to a second year Abnormal Psychology class at Queen's University (weird timing given the Texas shooting, I'll return to that in a minute) and offered an evening and a one day session for the Alzheimer's Society here in Kingston. The evening session was for family caregivers and the day for helping professionals. I learned a lot during both events. I can tell you one thing: when I am elderly and in need of long term care, I hope to receive care from people such as the ones on the panel. These folks, most of whom have been looking after elderly patients with dementia for 20-30 years, radiated with compassion for their clients. When they described why they love their work, their faces started lighting up. I can't quite capture it now, as it is 6am and I'm about to take my son to play hockey, but it was something very moving. Everyone on the panel also spoke of their self care strategies and it was clear that they have remained compassionate and resilient because, in part, they had learned to care for themselves both physically and emotionally. All of them exercise on a regular basis, try to eat well and have a strong support network.

It was also wonderful to present to family caregivers. These folks have been caring for a loved one with for years, often on their own, often in their homes until they can no longer do it. I hope I was able to offer a little bit of support to them, in my limited ways. It was certainly an honour to meet you all.

I will not wade into the massive speculation that took place in the media this week surrounding the psychiatrist who went postal and killed a dozen military personnel in Texas. If you have google alert you will have been deluged with posts discussing and speculating on whether this man suffered from vicarious trauma and whether that is what led him to kill. The problem with the internet, of course, is that there is a lot of rubbish being written by pretty much anyone who can type, and there is some good stuff in among all that. I found a good discussion on the topic, written by Drs Figley and Pearlman and other solid sources, so I invite you go read this to if you want a sensible analysis of the few facts that are known at this time.

As for me, I'm off to Hamilton this week to present to helpers who work in developmental pediatrics. I also want to rake leaves, make soup and go for a run in the crisp November air. I hope you also have a good week and can fit in some time to exercise, stretch and breathe.

Namaste.

No comments: