My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://compassionfatigue.ca
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in our busy lives

That is the title of a book written by Wayne Muller (1999). It was recently sent to me by Jan Spillman, a colleague based in British Columbia who works with caregivers experiencing compassion fatigue. Here's a quote that struck me:

"Charles is a gifted, thoughtful physician. One day were were discussing the effects of exhaustion on the quality of our work. Physicians are trained to work when they are exhausted, required from the moment they begin medical school to perform when they are sleep-deprived, hurried and overloaded. "I discovered in medical school," Charles told me, "that if I saw a patient when I was tired or overworked, I would order a lot of tests. I could see the symptoms, I could recognize the possible diagnoses, but I couldn't really hear how it all fit together. So I got into the habit of ordering a battery of tests, hoping they would tell me what I was missing. "But when I was rested - if I had an opportunity to get some sleep, or go for a quiet walk - when I saw the next patient, I could rely on my intuition and experience to give me a pretty accurate reading of what was happening. If there was any uncertainty about my diagnosis, I would order a single, specific test to confirm or deny it. But when I could take the time to listen and be present with them and their illness, I was almost always right." (p5-6)

I really resonated with this quote, as I know for a fact that I have been more directive with clients when I have felt overwhelmed with other work requirements (a full waiting room on a Friday afternoon for example vs an empty one on a slow day). That is not something I am proud of, but I can look back with compassion now and realise that I was not rested enough to be able to problem solve with creativity.

Wayne Muller's book adopts a multifaith perspective and encourages the reader to re-explore the concept of taking time out of our weekly schedule for rest and renewal.

No comments: