My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://compassionfatigue.ca
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Strength in numbers


(that's an airplane being de-iced, something I witnessed several times in the past few days)

Today's blog entry will be short as I am recovering from crazy weather-induced travelling exhaustion! I had an otherwise wonderful trip to Winnipeg, Manitoba this week, meeting a very dynamic group of school counsellors. Getting there and back was honestly one of the most ridiculous comedy of errors I have experienced: flight delays, train delays, a taxi driver who fell asleep at the wheel on the major highway between Toronto and Kingston where I live as he was driving me home... When I finally got home, Saturday morning at 330am minus my suitcase which Air Canada had lost, I felt the full weight of the rather hectic schedule I had been keeping. So, apologies for the lacklustre entry this week.

Here's what I was reflecting on today, on my morning cross country ski (now that was a treat, unlike the travelling!): I was thinking back to the emails that I have received in the past two weeks, from workshop participants who very kindly take the time to send me their thoughts and feedback. They have all focused on a few key things: how they appreciated having had the chance to connect with other colleagues, felt validated to have (re)discovered that the challenges they face are universal (and normal) among helpers, and that the experience of taking a day out of our busy lives to take stock and reflect on the impact of the work that we do had given them a renewed burst of energy to retool their self care. As one helper wrote to me yesterday: "I have already read three of the books you recommended during your workshop" Now how's that for making a commitment and walking the walk?

Ok, that's all I'm going to write today. Over and out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.