My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://compassionfatigue.ca
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Making sushi with children



There are times that are simple yet very precious moments in our lives. I don't know about you, but sometimes I get so task-oriented and "completion-focused" (sadly, strong features of the enneagram 3 for those of you who know about the enneag.) that I lose my sense of humour and fun. This is something that I know about myself and try to keep at bay. Enter children - they are the best people in the world to force you out of your task-oriented focus (as right now, I am writing this but I can hear little feet coming down the stairs, back later).

Ok, I am back. On Sunday, my kids and I decided to make sushi for the first time. Now these are not works of art, I will grant you, but it led to a wonderful conversation about food, culinary traditions and eating with one's hands, something my 8 year old son is very keen to do again - "but you do it every day sweetie" I said, given that using cutlery is an ongoing battle with him at the best of times. So now for the next few Sundays, we are going to explore "foods that are eaten with our hands" from various countries of the world. I am thinking of Ethiopian next week, if I can find Tef flour to make the large, spongy breads that are used as plates and spoon.

I have several exciting announcements coming up later on today or Wednesday, come back and read some more when you have a chance.

No comments: